Monday 21 May 2012

Classic Georgian Townhouses

A bit of a detour from our house but this is a picture I took last week whilst escaping the office for a coffee.

I took this snap whilst walking along Cartwright Gardens






I love the architecture and the uniformity of the buildings.  It also really reminds of the scene in the 1968 version of Oliver where the flower seller starts her "who will buy my sweet red roses" song (despite learning that the street doesn't exist in London, or anywhere else in the UK for that matter, it was built on a sound stage at Shepperton Studios #anotherchildhoodclassicruined).


a still from the film Oliver 1968



The town houses on Cartwright Gardens are grade II listed building and I learned that even the hanging baskets have to be approved and identically hung!  I love listed buildings and think that they should be protected but I'm not sure I'd like the restrictions of living in one.

One of my favourite (loser-sneeze) pass-times when I've got a few minutes to spare is checking out property websites such as Zoopla and Mouseprice which record data from the Land Registry office, so you can get to see how much properties sold for in a particular area (great tool when negotiating house prices, great in general for nosey parkers like me).  Properties don't come up for sale very often in Cartwright Gardens but the most recent, a 1-bedroom flat sold for a whopping £1.1million in April.



Maybe its just me but I'm feeling very underwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment